Purpose

Bible Studies for those who love the Word or want to discover more.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Advent Thoughts: The Perfect Christmas Plan

So, because this is a blog, I can change my mind.  Let's focus the next few weeks on Advent--just because Christmas should be celebrated in any way possible.  I recently uncovered some short Advent devotionals written in 2007.  We will return to Genesis in the new year.

Luke 24:36-48

While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?" They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate it in their presence. He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms." Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.”


I love to plan.  I’m a planner. I love strategy and laying out how I can get from A to B and then to Z.  I’ve learned a few things about planning as a novice strategist.  There are certain things that always must be factored into a good plan:  hiccups, bumps and detours.  Any good strategy will have alternate routes, extra time for adjustment, space and time to deal with the emotions, and room for new ideas.

So, when I read about God’s plan of salvation I not only get spiritually joyful, but I also get strategically happy.  We can see that God is the superlative planner.  He had a strategy in place for dealing with our sin.  And God’s long-term plan of redemption had built-in adjustments.  For our fear he had comfort.  For our unrest he had peace.  For our disobedience he had forgiveness.  For our disbelief he had truth. And for our salvation he had Jesus! 

In our unlikely Advent text cited above, we see God’s plan completely fulfilled.  That tiny baby who slept in the hay fulfilled God’s promise by becoming the Incarnate Christ—salvation in the flesh.  For the disciples on that post-resurrection day they came literally face-to-face with God’s final plan.

The disciples expressed all the hiccups, bumps and detours that God had factored in—alarm, fear, amazement, and doubt.  It was the perfect plan. It was the Christmas plan that always ends up in the Easter celebration!
   
Jesus reminded the disciples that his body was a part of the salvation plan.  It was his body that was birthed from Mary’s womb.  It was his body that was nailed to the cross.  And it was his body that was resurrected on the third day completing God’s perfect plan of salvation. Let’s celebrate God’s perfect Christmas plan!

Thought for the Week:  If Jesus had not come in the flesh we would not know the resurrection is for real!

Copyright M.R. Hyde 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment